Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Success, Failure, or To Be Determined?

Six months ago I set out to see if a fat man could run again.  This is what I said...
This is my goal: Six months from today, June 21st 2012, I, Michael David Terrell, will be running again.

Did I make it?  The short answer is, yes, my goal was acheived.  To leave it at that would not really do justice to the last six months.

To review, the reason I started this experiment was three-fold:
  1. I missed running, despite how much I love cycling.
  2. The concept of "barefoot running" came on the scene and was intriguing.
  3. I wanted another avenue for exercise that was not as time or equipment intensive as cycling.
First, do I still like running?  Yeah, but not nearly as much as cycling.  If I had to choose between the two, cycling would win hands down without a second thought.  Running is certainly enjoyable enough that I will continue with it.  That and running a 5k race is fun.

Second, did the whole "barefoot running" thing work out the way I had hoped?  Yeah, pretty much.  Granted, I'm not actually running "barefoot".  I do wear shoes that could best be described as running slippers.  Their only real job is to protect my foot from objects I might step on.  A few caveats should be mentioned for those with an interest in trying the same experiment:
  • Currently, I run about twice a week for about 30 minutes at a time.  That is it.  No high mileage for me.
  • It is hard to imagine doing anything more than a 10k race.  At this point, I have no desire or ambition for anything more.
  • There was a lot of time put into the transition from no-running to barefoot-running.  Anyone thinking of trying a barefoot running style should: 1) thoroughly educate themselves regarding good, natural running mechanics, 2) start with very small distances, 3) build themselves up slowly, and 4) listen to what their bodies are trying to tell them.  Those who fail to listen will suffer the consequences.  You've been warned!!!
  • I have had the benefit of having a well-trained and experienced orthopaedic physical therapist to consult (that would be me, by the way).  Not to toot my own horn too much, but I know what I'm doing.
Lastly, is running a good alternative to cycling?  Honestly, this is where I am getting my main motivation to continue running.  Here is a good example...this past weekend we spent time with Michelle's family for Christmas.  This involved driving to McBain, then to Midland, and then back to Grand Rapids.  I loaded and unloaded the van more times than I can remember.  If I had added a bike and the necessary cold weather bike gear, it might have sent me over the edge.  Packing for running is much simpler.  Also, finding time for 30-40 minute run is easier than a 1-2 hour bike ride.  Running was a much better fit than cycling.

How is my right knee feeling?  To be honest, it is not pain-free with running.  Right medial knee pain was the reason I stopped running in the first place.  My hope was that the barefoot-style of running would solve that little problem.  I'm not convinced that it has.  On the other hand, it has not worsened or gotten to the "this isn't worth it stage".  I need more time and a more consistent running schedule to see how this pans out in the long-term.  I only ran once between Thanksgiving and Christmas (not because I didn't want to, but life just got real busy).  The new year should be better for consistency.

Am I a runner?  That is not how I see myself.  I am a cyclist who runs on occasion.

So, how will my experiment continue?  As I mentioned above, I will probably stick with a couple runs a week for around 30 minutes at a time.  There will probably be the occasional 5k and maybe, just maybe a 10k race sometime in the vague and distant future.  Running will always be supplementary and secondary to cycling.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I go through no-running stretches as I'm preparing for big rides.

Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.  How does that sound to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment